Friday, December 9, 2011

You Don't Know How Lucky You Are!



Charity has to be taught, and shown to kids for them to “Get It”.  Yelling the words, “You don’t know how lucky you are!” can seem educational, but they’re really not.  None of us realize how lucky we are.   


“Giving” refers not just to money, but also to you.  On Christmas morning, I used to take my kids into a local hospital to serve meals to elderly people who had nowhere to go.  My kids “Got It”.  My big revelation came when my son, Rhett, was 8-years-old.  We were in a small bodega in New York City so that he could use some of his “Quick Cash” to buy some Tootsie Roll Pops (I was trying to empower him to make his own choices, and was a little liberal on the sugar choice!). 

He had his pops and his money and was standing in line to pay and in front of him was a homeless woman who had a cup of change and an orange.  She dumped out the coins and the owner of the store told her to put back the orange, because she didn’t have enough money.  As she collected the change, my son watched and interrupted and said, “I have my Quick Cash with me and I’d like to buy you the orange, I just need to put back the pops and start to count out my change again.”  


Every eye in the store turned to this little kid.  The woman thanked him and refused to take his money.  Rhett became insistent, saying “I work for my money and I get to choose how I spend it and I want to buy you this orange.  May I?”  Still she was reluctant, but he persevered.  “Don’t you know the rules?” he said.  “This is my money and I chose to buy you the orange, because someday when I don’t have the money, someone will be there to buy me some food.”  


The air was sucked out of the room and filled with sobbing mothers (me included).  The transaction took place, and Rhett joined me in the back of the store, where I was sobbing, “I’m so proud of you for doing this”.  And he said, “You are not supposed to be proud of me when I’m doing something I’m supposed to do.  You are supposed to be proud of me when I do something that I’m not supposed to do!”  Okay, he was right and, yes, the money lessons work!

No comments:

Post a Comment