Monday, September 5, 2011

Kids & Money

What got me started?  I, like most parents, was sick of hearing, “I want, I want, I want”.  It was the 1980s when my kids were young.  There was a particular moment with my then 3-year-old son at FAO Schwarz in New York City.  He spotted the little Ferrari (that costs more than a house) and blurted out the words, “I need this toy.”

I did what any great parent would do—I crouched down, established eye contact, and began to yell, “You never need a toy.  You can want one, but you don’t need one.”  I added, “Anyway, I can’t afford that toy.”  He immediately retorted with, “Mom, don’t use real money, use that magic piece of plastic!” 

After I stopped hyperventilating I realized that here I was, a President of a bank, and I hadn’t taught my son anything about money.  He not only understood that you need money to buy stuff but that a credit card is a substitute for money.  This was my wake-up call and I decided to do something about this by launching the topic. 

Check out my web site at http://www.childrensfinancialnetwork.com/ for tips and tools on how to raise financially responsible children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment